40 Hour - Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester (BPAT)
scroll down to see class offerings
Hours: 40 (Classes 8 am – 5 pm unless otherwise noted)
TCEQ Course Code 1200 BPAT: This course provides the required 40-hour Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) approved course along with the TCEQ approved “hands-on” practical test administered at the conclusion of the course to be considered for licensure by TCEQ as a Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester (BPAT).
Completing this course also provides continuing education credit for the following licenses:
- 32-hours of continuing education credits for licensed Backflow Prevention Assembly Testers
- 12-hours of continuing education credits for licensed Water and Wastewater Operators
- 12-hours of continuing education credits for licensed Landscape Irrigators (LI)
- 12-hours of continuing education credits for licensed Customer Service Inspectors (CSI)
- 12-hours of continuing education credits for licensed Water Treatment Specialist
- 100-hours of training credit to an applicant for a Plumbing Inspectors license (through TSBPE)
Note: TCEQ has adopted the University of Southern California (USC) 10th Edition Manual of Cross-Connection Control as the standard for backflow prevention assembly testing procedures and this manual is now required for all students attending this class.
All students registered for this class will receive a copy of the USC 10th Edition.
NEW: HAC is now offering free on site gauge certification to each registered student. Additional gauges can be certified for $70 per gauge. Contact us for more information.
- Individuals wishing to obtain a BPAT License
- Individuals wishing to obtain continuing education credit
- Individuals wishing to obtain a Plumbing Inspector’s License
- Plumbing inspectors
- Water Operators
- Fireline Contractors
- Customer Service Inspectors
- Individuals wishing to obtain information regarding backflow
Effective September 1, 2017, pursuant to TCEQ Reg-521 "Criminal History Guidelines", those with a felony criminal history should contact TCEQ Licensing Division prior to registering for a training course. Specific criminal history could negatively impact the ability to receive a TCEQ issued occupational license.
There are no prerequisites for this course; however, to be considered for licensure by TCEQ as a Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester, the participant must meet the TCEQ Qualifications for initial license.
These Qualifications are:
- Have a High School Diploma or Equivalent Certificate
- Complete a 40-hour training course
- Pass an examination *Written exam must be taken at a TCEQ regional office or proctored computer-based testing facility as of May 2, 2016
- Work at least two years in an approved area
Approved Areas per TCEQ (click link for more details):
- Operating or maintaining a Public Drinking Water System
- Installing or repairing residential, commercial, or industrial drinking water treatment equipment
- Installing or repairing lawn irrigation systems
- Performing activities requiring a Master or Journeyman Plumbing license
- Testing and repairing backflow prevention assemblies on fire suppression systems and lines
An individual may substitute one year of required experience with:
- 1 year of College credit (32 Semester Hours)
- 20 Hours of Approved Training in addition to the required 40-hour Training Course
ABPA Certification: If interested in ABPA certification, please contact us for more information. ABPA coordination needs to be scheduled in advance to ensure we have the appropriate number of proctors/monitors on site for the exam. ABPA certification also requires an additional fee.
07/23 - 07/27/2018
Course Number: 18-1200-07b
08/06 - 08/10/2018
Course Number: 18-1200-08a
08/27 - 08/31/2018
Course Number: 18-1200-08b
09/10/18 - 09/14/2018
Course Number: 18-1200-09a
10/08 - 10/12/2018
Course Number: 18-1200-10
(Attendance at this class will require a separate payment for parking to be made to the university.)
Sam Houston State University (Piney Woods Hall)
2120 Avenue I
Huntsville, Texas 77340
10/22 - 10/26/2018
Course Number: 18-1200-10b